Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Would You Take A Million Dollars for What You Have?

'I have know Harold Abbott for years. He lived in Webb City, Missouri. He used to be my lecture manager. One day, he and I met in Kansas City, and he drove me down to my farm at Belton, Missouri. During that drive, I asked him how he kept from worrying; and he told me an inspiring story that I shall never forget.

"I used to worry a lot," he said, "but one spring day in 1934, I was walking down West Dougherty Street in Webb City when I saw a sight that banished all my worries. It all happened in ten seconds, but during those ten seconds I learned more about how to live than I had learned in the previous ten years. For two years I had been running a grocery store in Webb City," Harold Abbott said, as he told me the story. "I had not only lost all my savings, but I had incurred debts that took me seven years to pay back. My grocery store had been closed the previous Saturday; and now I was going to the Merchants and Miners Bank to borrow money so I could go to Kansas city and look for a job. I walked like a beaten man. I had lost all my fight and faith. All of the suddenly I saw coming down the street with a block of wood in each hand. I met him just after he had crossed the street and was starting to lift himself up a few inches over the curb to the sidewalk. As he tilted his little wooden platform to an angle, his eyes met mine.

He greeted me with a grand smile. 'Good morning, sir. It is a fine morning, isn't it?' he said with spirit. As I stood looking at him, I realized how rich I was. I had two legs. I could walk. I felt ashamed of my self-pity. I said to myself if he can be happy, cheerful, and confident without legs, I certainly can with legs. I could already feel my chest lifting. I had intended to ask the Merchants and Miners Bank for only one hundred dollars. But now I had the courage to ask for two hundred. I had intended to say that I wanted to go to Kansas City to try and get a job. But now I announced confidently that I wanted to go to Kansas City to get a job. I got the loan; and I got the job.

"I now have a the following words pasted on my bathroom mirror, and I read them every morning as I shave:

I had the blues because I had no shoes,
Until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet."
Why don't you stop and ask yourself: "What the heck am I worrying about?" You will probably find that it is comparatively unimportant and insignificant. '
*Source: How To Stop Worrying and Start Livng by Dale Carnegie

No comments:

Post a Comment