Have You Ever Cold Called Into Someone’s Meeting?

One more thing in regards to my post on April 2 regarding cold calling and meetings.

When I worked in the call center, I remember one of my colleagues making a comment after she had just finished up a call. She said, “I just got off the phone with a guy who said he didn’t have any time to talk because he was in a meeting. I mean, why would you pick up the phone if you were in a meeting? That just doesn’t make sense.”

But I have seen situations where managers and directors were engaged in one-on-ones or were leading a small group meeting and they stopped what they were doing to take a call.

Why would they stop?

Customer service managers do it all of the time. They expect their people to throw unmanageable and irate customers their way. So, they have to put aside what they are doing to deal with the customer crisis at hand.

Or what about the director who is conducting a one-on-one but is expecting a call from his or her spouse to get an update on a family emergency? The will pick up the phone regardless of what they are doing. I’ve seen that happen as well.

So imagine how this individual feels when they are in a meeting and expecting an irate customer or bad news on a family medical emergency and they get… you, a bona fide cold calling salesperson. Think about the emotional roller coaster that you have just put that person through.

If you can put yourself in that situation and see from that person’s perspective, you will be in a better position to respond when you pull them from their meeting.

I once called into a company and got the “gatekeeper”. After using several simple behavioral strategies, I got her to get the decision-maker on the line. She pulled him from his Monday morning sales meeting and naturally, I did not have my USP ready. No USP, no value proposition, nothing. The only thing I succeeded in doing was pulling this guy away from his sales meeting to talk to me.

Naturally, he was not happy and he spared no expense in letting me know.

The tactics and strategies that we discuss in our programs work and they are effective. However, no strategy or behavioral tactic can compensate for having no call plan and having no value proposition.

When you are making your follow up calls or lead generation calls, always have your USP at hand, know your value proposition, and remember that if you caught them in a meeting, they picked up the phone expecting the worst. Apologize, reschedule, and give them something to smile about before sending them back to their meeting.

Labels: , , ,